Jimmy Badge


Well, to put it bluntly, Jimmy is the cap badge! It is described as; "The figure of Mercury holding a Caduceus in the left hand, the right hand aloft poised with the left foot on a globe all silver above the globe a scroll inscribed 'Certa Cito' and below on each side six laurel leaves all gold, the whole ensigned with the Crown in gold."

However, to almost every member of the Corps, it is more affectionately know as "JIMMY". Why Jimmy? There are quite a few different theories as to why the name Jimmy was used. Most agree that is is a term of endearment for the emblem, and the most widely accepted reason is that it came from a very popular Corps boxer, called Jimmy Emblem, who was an Army Champion in 1924 and represented the Corps from 1921 to 1929. It was certainly referred to as Jimmy in official correspondence in the early 1930's.

So what are the origins of the badge and its name? The first Commander of the 2nd Division, Major CFC Beresford, was determined that it should have its own emblem. No-one could seem to come up with any better ideas than he did, and so the figure of Mercury was adopted. It is believed that the inspiration for Mercury was from Major Beresford's father's statue of Mercury that he had probably purchased at the Great Exhibition at Hyde Park in 1851. This had then been set up in his father's garden. The statue was passed to the Royal Signals in 1977. The emblem first appeared the Military Telegraph Bulletin, on 15 September 1884, as well a being used on headed notepaper.

Mercury was never used by Royal Engineers Communicators as a badge. It was not until the Signals Corp appeared that the question of a badge came into being. It was following the decision of King George V to grant the 'Royal' title that the first cap badge of Mercury was officially approved in March, 1921.